Wednesday 14 May 2014

Star Wars, Elgar, and an Unfinished Poem

Time is making a fool of me again, but we are still good friends. It is hard to believe that my journey through Oz has almost reached the ten month mark. I'm sorry I did not take you along for the better part of it. The intention was there, the motivation was not. Can we still be friends? I have things to share!

Suffice it to say, there is too much to catch you up in one blog. So I will fast forward to May. I mean, it's the best month anyway! Up to this point, I have seen much more of Australia, and its majestic neighbor, New Zealand, including Sydney, Cairns/Port Douglas, the Great Barrier Reef, Port Phillip Island, Wellington, and Queenstown. It was quite the whirlwind of travel, and my beautiful parents were there for much of it, making the adventure far sweeter.

I've learned a great deal, about the world and about my self. I've had lowly lows and fantastic highs, I have had quiet times and noisy times, comforting times and restless ones too, and some that are just all a jumble of many times, or a few. I've met a great many interesting people, of both nice and rather sketchy character, and many in between! I have made friends of a lasting variety, friends that have come from all over the world, Sri Lanka, Canada, Wales, and of course Australia too! Hmm, this is beginning to sound like a farewell blog, so let's return to the month of May. It's not quite time to say goodbye, not yet!

May has been my favorite month this year, and not because it bares my birthday. I've had and shared many a great event, whether it be as simple as going to see a movie or sharing a meal with my friends, or something exciting like singing a Star Wars concert! Admittedly, it was a rather humorous experience, as in under-prepared humorous, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless! There were Stormtroopers and Ewok's for goodness sake!

Next on the horizon is a large concert performing Elgar and Vaughn Williams in the town hall. I will also be joining a select few in the studio, to record music for a feature film. It is fair to say that a month full of singing avenues and events is a good month in my book. While we're on choir news, I will being joining the philharmonic on a Tasmania tour (of sorts) to sing three or four concerts in early July, a trip I have been greatly anticipating!

I suppose the only other thing of note I have to share are shoes! I have new ones and they're glorious! Oh, and I have this poem, it was written on a particularly sleepless night at 3am. It is unedited and unfinished, but a part of me yearns to share it. That is, after all, a part of the process of creation.

Help Make Grow / Drifting

I need a starting point.
Something I can build off of,
Something I can help make grow.
It seems I'm just drifting.
I suppose that's not so unfortunate a thing.
Thought it's not what I want to be doing.
I want to help make something grow.
A dream perhaps? I've done it before.
Hell, I'm living one!
Australia was always a dream, always an open door,
and look at me now, almost a year I've spent here
and still there's more to go.
I don't know what's next, though.
I need another dream.
I have many, but
something tells me they're not quite right.
Not yet, not tonight.

What are they?
Oh, I dream of having a partner, whom I love and who loves me.
Equally,
or at least sixty/forty.
I dream of having a home to share with him, a home that is bright and welcoming,
a home that is warm and comforting.
I dream of traveling the world and seeing many sights,
Like sunsets over distant seas
and mountains of great heights
I dream of having no money worries,
to share and give as openly as I receive.
I dream of heaven too,
but that dream I will not share, except to a few.
I dream a lot about future things, don't I?
Perhaps I should start dreaming of present things.
Maybe then I will find it,
and what ever it brings,
so long as I can help it grow.

But alas no present dream is calling me.
No desire, no wish, no action
Presently
I am drifting.

Perhaps... Perhaps I should help another person's dream to grow.
Perhaps this journey was never meant for me,
but for the people I came to know,
came to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment