Monday 2 September 2013

Tell Your Story

Not long ago, I used to dread telling my story, and when forced to, I would tell it halfheartedly or without much spirit. My story always had hope, but that's about all it had going for it. Perhaps it was because I wasn't proud of it, or felt it had no direction.

The three short weeks I've had here, have given me a few revelations with regards to story telling. One such, is that there is nothing more exciting than an unfinished story, an unfinished person. It means there is still room for growth, an infinite amount in fact! Be proud and excited about the fact that you are an unfinished person. Let it comfort you, and let it guide you.

In many ways it is essential I tell my story. It helps others to understand. Not because they may be from a different country, with a different lifestyle (I think you'll find that Australians are very similar to us, with a few odd quirks). It is because knowing someone's story helps you to understand where that person is coming from, and if you're observant enough, where they are headed.

I've found that sharing my story is a powerful way of making connections, forming bonds, and moving forward. With each sharing I have gotten better at telling it, weeding out the bits that clutter, or changing its order, trying for a new angle or perspective. There is no right place to start when telling your story, no beginning place. It is only important that you start someplace. Which place depends on the listener, on the situation, and on you.

Your story is a part of who you are, it is what has led you to this person you are today. It is a powerful thing, knowing your story, and being able to share it. And share it you must, for it is one of the ways we move our story forward. With each telling of it, we shape it, in someway or other. However, there are right ways to share it. Do not force it upon someone, don't get caught up in it, or blame your life on it, but if someone asks, tell it. Invariably, they will know something about your story that you didn't.

I've learned to be sincere in the telling of my story. No longer trying to seek gain through it, or from it. If you choose to manipulate your story, warp it, you will stray further from its purpose. Manipulation may get you what you want, but it will only take you so far. Telling your story is a gift. Having someone who will listen is a gift. It is not something you should seek to profit from, though quite often you will.


The setting for my next chapter.
So when you go to new places, meet new people, and discover new things, tell your story. It will lead you to places you would surely not have gone otherwise. And if you're lucky, you will get to hear a story in return.  

1 comment: