Thursday 24 October 2013

Clock Time, Eternity


Life seems to have resumed a normal pace again. I've come to see the unsteadiness of time in my two and a half months here, more so than I did back home. Perhaps it is because I am more aware, and less aware, of time as a whole.

There will always be the ticking of the clock, things that need to be done at this time or that time, schedules. But in that clock there is eternity, which can be seen in a second, in a minute or in any length of time; such is the beauty of eternity. It is forever in an instant. Have you heard of this concept? It is quite unexplainable, but we try. I believe it is similar to that of catching a glimpse of heaven. For one irrevocably beautiful moment, you see through more than just eyes, but through something eternal, to something eternal. It is a pause, not in clock time, but in life time, where an hour can turn into centuries and a year a few seconds. Such is the case that most often these eternal moments go unrecognized, at least until after their passing. It is a blessing that we can look back on them at all.

I must admit, the two weeks I neglected to post were because I was caught up in clock time. The business of the moment is very alluring, especially when you have been seeking something to occupy your time. Yes, being is nice, but we are human, and must also do. And I most certainly was doing! In the span of two weeks I rehearsed and performed over 15 hours of Wagner, climbed all over the Dandenong hills, saw my first Australian wildlife (an echidna), and watched a most beautiful sunset overlooking the city, the bay, the You Yangs and beyond. I traveled on my first V-line country train, explored the city of Geelong, Torquay, and Bells Beach, and have been progressing with my new job.

Life is easier when it is filled with things to do and achieve. Busyness brings concentration, activeness, movement and so much more. Unfortunately it can very easily lead to distraction, if you aren't careful. It did with me, but I do not regret it, or apologize for it. It was necessary, for I have progressed more in the two weeks time than I could have hoped for, finally gaining what I most sought after arriving here. A friend. Someone to share my time with, and not my clock time, my unmeasured time.

I have learned to stop looking for eternity in the beyond, and to start seeing it in the now. That is where it lies, playing out right before our eyes. With each passing day I am opened a little more. So are you. If we're lucky, we might even catch a glimpse of heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment